Benefits of Big Brother/Big Sister

Smiling joyfully, Hannah Borst poses with her class on her last day as their Big Sister. “Working as a Big Sister helped me realize my calling is education.” said Borst.

Big brother/sister is is a group of junior and senior students that volunteer in classrooms to help and mentor younger students in our school district more than likely they will go to the elementary school. The students who volunteer spend time being a mentor, tutor, and friend to the students.

This program is great for people who think they might be interested in teaching as a career path but are unsure.

“I know now that I want to be a teacher because of Big brother/sister. Without this program I would still be unsure.” Said Hannah Borst.

Big brother/Big sister helps you learn life skills that can be used in everyday life. Big brother/sister helped Borst learn problem solving skills and how to think quick on your feet. It also helped Kade Overton to keep an eye out and to pay close attention to detail. Dealing with little kids makes your keeps you on your feet, you always have to be ready.

“Dealing with kids and working with them really teaches you patience in everyday life and to every-now-and-then just forget everything and just have fun.” Said Emma Lonneman.

Being a big brother/sister is an eye opening opportunity that can open your eyes to a lot of things. Thinking about becoming an educator? Try big brother/sister. Maybe you will find out that is exactly what you want to do with your life, or maybe you will realize that working with younger kids is not really your thing. The important thing is that you have the experience and hopefully it brings you closer to what you want to do when you graduate. Plus if you can’t find absolutely anything good at all out of doing big brother/sister (which is almost impossible) you still get senior hours/volunteer hours for participating. It also looks good on college applications. So you don’t really have a reason not to do it.

This doesn’t only impact your life but the life of the children you interact with. They look up to high schoolers.

“I’m doing this to give back. When I was their age and I saw the high schoolers or a high schooler came to my room, I thought they were the coolest people. And now I’m one of them and hearing them yell my name and hug me when I walk into the room, it’s just the coolest thing.” Kade Overton.

If you are interested for next year you can stop by Scott Schroeder’s room.