P.E: The Good, the Bad, the Ugly

Second+hour+PE+students+play+ball+on+the+last+day+of+class.+

Photo by Hannah Borst

Second hour PE students play ball on the last day of class.

Physical Education. Some kids hate it, some kids love it. Some kids don’t care, and others fill their schedules so full they aren’t able to take a P.E. class.

In order for students at ADM to become P.E. exempt, they must fill both semesters with academic classes. Study halls do not count towards P.E. exemption. Many students take advantage of this, both for the option of taking another class or just not having to take P.E.

This year students in P.E. have three different activities per week. For two days they lift weight in the weight room; for two days they play games such as hockey, badminton, basketball, dodgeball or golf. The one other day of the week is a cardio day, where students run, work at stations or play the running kickball game Alfonso Ball.

Many benefits come from P.E., especially during student school days. According to livestrong.com, studies show “Regular activity during the school day is strongly associated with higher concentration levels as well as more directed, composed behavior.” Although many students do not enjoy P.E., it is truly a good class to have in their daily schedules.

Junior Abigail Calligan was in P.E. first semester with Mr. Whisner. Her favorite activities were speedball and kickball. Her least favorite activity was weight lifting.

Senior Jacob Kuhn stated he hates everything about P.E., but if he had to choose his favorite activity it would be “pegging freshman with dodgeballs.” When asked why he hates everything about PE, he responded that he just doesn’t care about it and that to him it is pointless.

Katarina Meadowcroft, a freshman, had Mrs. Scott as her teacher. Her favorite activites included working in the weight room and playing hockey and lacrosse. She did not like running the mile or doing “anything else that she made us do.”

Overall, it seems students at ADM ignore the fact P.E. is truly good for them and would rather not take or participate in the class.